Sunday, October 08, 2006

outside the box #72


here is the latest episode of "outside the box," hosted by alex ansary.
it was originally broadcast by portland community media on october 5, 2006.

from alex ansary: Last week America changed. On October 5th, 2006 I joined the Portland Branch of World Can't Wait. This is my report of both the local protest, and the recently passed legislation pertaining to Habeus Corpus, Warrantless Wiretapping, and the bill that allows the strip searching of students in public school. The footage of the protest that my camera person shot begins 43 minutes into the program.

alex ansary bullhorning the oregonian










here is an excerpt from alex ansary's post on portland indymedia: I would like to thank everyone who showed up on October 5th in downtown Portland. For those of you who I just met, I am not a Democrat or a Republican, I'm just a guy with a voice like you, who has dedicated his life to this cause. This protest was almost entirely peaceful, however as you can see from other posts and reports, this changed with the group separated from one to two groups, with the second group headed for I 405 with the intention of shutting it down. This is when most all of the violence occurred on the corner of 12th and Jefferson...

As for my own view on the situation, my reason for attending was to provide information, network, meet new friends, and be a part of something positive in a world filled with darkness. I do not see what happened at 12th and Jefferson as being the only thing to talk about, as horrific as it is...

I believe we hang together or hang separately and I respect your right to protest in your own unique way, but if I am already engaged in something positive, why am I going to change that by starting something with the Portland Police?

I stopped posted on this website for a reason. I found that there is so much anger towards different views, especially those that post about 9/11. Well, it was 9/11 that woke me up and... I am no longer ashamed to say I give a fuck, this is who I am, and I'm sorry that doesn't resonate with you.

What I am learning, it that's it's ok to criticize as long as we are aiming to help each other, instead of war with each other. Thanks to the Oregonian for posting this picture in Fridays Metro Edition.

PS...I will be protesting the GOP fundraiser Monday at 12:30 pm at Portland Art Museum. Rudy Guiliani will be there supporting Ron Saxton and his push to make Oregon the first state to issue the National ID card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

fair use notice: this site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. we are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, & social justice issues, etc. we believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US copyright law. In accordance with title 17 usc section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.